Re: dired doesn't work properly with a multibyte locale

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: dired doesn't work properly with a multibyte locale
Date: 23 Jan 2003 13:31:36 +0900

Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:
> >  The other solution is to get "ls --dired" output with a "binary"
> >  coding system, then use the byte-offsets to add text-properties,
> >  and then do the decode-coding-region.
>
> Yes.  I think that is the correct fix. ...  we can preserve
> the text-property `dired-filename' by decoding one bunch by
> one.  Could you please try the attached patch?

This patch seems to work well for me (it correctly parses directories
that are completely screwed up by the old code).

> That is a clever solution.  It might be slow, but perhaps it is fast
> enough for the job at hand.  Miles, do you find it fast enough?

It doesn't seem any noticably slower than the old dired on my system
(both take some time to display a large directory, but I don't notice
any difference between them).

-Miles
--
I'm beginning to think that life is just one long Yoko Ono album; no rhyme
or reason, just a lot of incoherent shrieks and then it's over.  --Ian Wolff