Re: Source code formatting: line length limit?

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Source code formatting: line length limit?
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 15:48:05 +0100

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> writes:

> I happen to think that 60 columns is more legible, but I also think
> that in most cases, source code that spans 80 columns is perfectly legible
> because almost none of the lines actually takes more than 60 columns
> of text.

I think both of you implicitly imply that text *over* 80 columns is
bad and should be avoided.

Could you make this explicit?

To illustrate my problem:  I have just reformatted source code from
something like 120 columns to something below 80.  Should I revert
this change, making the lines longer again?  Some of the changes
produced rather awful-looking code because the code is nested very
deeply.
--
Ambibibentists unite!