Re: pcl-cvs help

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: pcl-cvs help
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 12:39:37 -0500

> > Please double and triple check.  For example, open up a *cvs* buffer (to
> > make sure that PCL-CVS gets loaded), then do C-x C-f .../pcvs.el RET and
> > the M-x eval-region RET and then try M-x cvs-status (aka M-u) a few times
> > to see if the problem is still present.  It's very easy to end up loading
> > a stray unmodified file: even long-time Emacs maintainers routinely do it
> > even after "double checking".
>
> Ok, I double checked and was able to actually pick up the change; I'm not
> sure what happened before. Anyway, on Linux, the problem is gone. On OS X,
> the problem is much less noticable, but still there.

So there's something else at play.  Could any Max OS X guy lok at this ?

> I'm guessing that the problem is now related to a problem that also shows
> up in eshell on OS X: the output of a process is sometimes cut short.

So it might be a bug in Emacs' handling of async processes ?

> Once again its only happening on OS X now and the problem "looks different"
> than it did before.
>
> > The problem that the patch above is trying to fix is not specific to
> > Emacs at all, but to a combination of "CVS + SSH + some libc + stdout and
> > stderr outputting to a pipe".  It's a pretty "obscure" interaction
> > and the jury is still out about who is to blame.
> >
> > I can easily reproduce it outside of Emacs on my Linux box as follows:
> >
> >     src/m-0% cvs status -v 2>&1 | wc
> >        4724   13182  187152
> >     src/m-0% cvs status -v 2>&1 | (sleep 10; wc)
> >         151     417    5828
> >     src/m-0%
>
> It happens on OS X too:
>
>     bash-2.05a$ cvs status -v 2>&1 | wc
>          618    1340   17113
>     bash-2.05a$ cvs status -v 2>&1 | (sleep 10; wc)
>          319     693    8853
>     bash-2.05a$
>
> and on my Linux box:
>
>     bash-2.05$ cvs status -v 2>&1 | wc
>       626    1360   17307
>     bash-2.05$ cvs status -v 2>&1 | (sleep 10; wc)
>        34      74     818
>     bash-2.05$

Thank you for testing it.  I suggested you report the above problem
to the Mac OS X people (with a CC to the CVS people and the SSH people.
BTW, which SSH do you use ?).

> <#part type="application/octet-stream" filename="~/x" disposition=attachment
> description="cvs-tmp buffer">

Looks like something didn't work ;-)

        Stefan