Re: ruler-mode.el fix following whitespace cleanup

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: ruler-mode.el fix following whitespace cleanup
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 10:37:15 +0100

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003 08:21:33 +0200 (IST), Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> You mean, you have indent-tabs-mode set to nil?

Yes

> Because if you do, any
> reindentation you do on a block of code will change the whitespace there
> to something that many developers (and the GNU standards, AFAIK) consider
> as non-canonical whitespace usage.

I've found nothing about spaces vs. tabs at
http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards.html,
but I'm prepared to believe I've missed it :)

Anyway, I rarely, if ever, do a reident in Emacs code; so the only
places affected are the lines I directly change. I'll look for a way to
set it conditionally on the file not being under subversion's CVS
control, though.

FWIW: Of the 254,095 lines of elisp code in lisp/ and subdirs, 68,836
start with a tab (~ 27%), while 7,745 start with 8+ spaces (~ 3%). I
refuse to believe those 7,745 lines are all my work :)

> This could mean another round of
> gratuitous whitespace-only changes ;-)

Ouch. But I'm not going to push for a widespread switch to spaces-only
files, even if I find it more sensible ;)

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u