Re: support for tty frames from windowed emacs session

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: support for tty frames from windowed emacs session
Date: 08 Mar 2003 23:06:23 +0100

> > From: "Anthony R. Cassandra" <address@hidden>
> > Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 18:37:44 -0600
> >
> >   "Note that creating a frame on a tty (via "gnuclient -nw ...") does
> >    not work.  GNU Emacs doesn't support this functionality."
> >
> > Is the README accurate in its statement?
>
> Yes, AFAIK.

I would like to know more specifically what functionality is
requested here.  What qualifies as a "tty" in this regard?
A serial port, a pty, etc?

> > Myself and some others would really like this functionality, and I
> > want to see if it is worth exploring trying to make it happen.
>
> Please do.  IMHO, this is an important feature that needs motivated
> individuals willing to sit down and code it.

I never thought I needed this -- why is it important?

Maybe to have multiple displays using dumb TTYs attached to serial ports?
But who has a TTY anymore?

What kind of TERMINFO entry would be used for the tty?

If we create more than one such frame on different ttys, should they
be able to use different TERMINFO entries?

What about the setup of the tty (ioctls, etc)?  Shall emacs do that?

> > Are there major technical problems, philosophical problems or is it
> > simply as matter of having the appropriate man-power for a lower
> > priority feature?
>
> The latter, I think.  But I don't think this is regarded as lower
> priority; it's just that the available resources are so scarce that
> even important features are not worked on.

Although there might not be _major_ technical problems, I don't think
it will be trivial to implement.

> I suggest to move the rest of this discussion to address@hidden

Done :-)