Re: display table for eight-bit-graphic

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: display table for eight-bit-graphic
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 14:07:59 -0500

    In unibyte buffer, by setting
    unibyte-display-via-language-environment to non-nil, 8-bit
    characters are converted to multibyte characters by
    unibyte-char-to-multibyte on displaying.  The merit of this
    is that when a user changes the language environment, 8-bit
    characters are displayed correctly based on the current
    language environment.

That is a sensible feature, but it isn't an exact replacement
for the current features that use the display table,
such as set-language-environment in unibyte mode.  It uses
set-display-table-and-terminal-coding-system.

It's possible that the unibyte-display-via-language-environment feature
does mostly the same thing as set-display-table-and-terminal-coding-system,
but that also sets up the display table for code 146.  If it calls
standard-display-european-internal, that also sets the display
table for code 160.

If you can make unibyte-display-via-language-environment handle
codes 146 and 160 in these ways, then perhaps it would be
an exact replacement for the current feature.  I am not sure.
I am also unsure whether that change would have some other drawback.