Re: Gtk scrollbar: thumb too short

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Gtk scrollbar: thumb too short
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 11:30:01 -0500

>  * I've always found the emacs behavior with respect to the end of the
>    buffer quite confusing personally... I think it would be far
>    less confusing if the region that was scrolled was actually
>    confined to the lines of the buffer (or maybe lines in buffer + 1)

Less confusing but pretty damn hard.  I'll implement it as soon as you
provide me with a moderately efficient function F that maps from
top-of-the-scrollbar-position (in % of the scrollbar size) to
window-start-position (in characters) such that F(100%) ensures
that (point-max) is visible.

Of course, if the last char of the buffer is a large image, the behavior
will be quite different from the case where the last 100KB of the buffer
are invisible.  Which is where the "moderately efficient" constraint
becomes relevant.

>    (Emacs-21.2 with Xaw3d seems to be just buggy ... if the user drags
>    the thumb of the scrollbar past the end of the buffer it shrinks
>    to a smaller size and doesn't come back.)

Could you describe the bug more precisely.  I don't expect the behavior
to be perfect, but "doesn't come back" sounds serious (unless you're just
talking about the size of the thumb: it only decreases while you drag
to avoid nasty "meta-stable" flicker, so the size will only be reset to
the proper value when the drag is over).

        Stefan