Re: Gtk scrollbar: thumb too short

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Gtk scrollbar: thumb too short
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 10:35:42 -0500

> > I've now switched to the new behavior I suggest (i.e. revert to the
> > native scrollbar behavior) but work around the problematic interaction
> > with Motif's scrollbar (the same problem as with Xaw3d and GTK) by
> > setting the thumb size to 0 while dragging it: it's not perfect, but I
> > find it much more useful.
>
> So the scrollbar shrinks to a small rectangle while being dragged
> (and so if you grab the _end_, you end up dragging it from a distance)?

With Xaw3d, the small thumb actually moves to meet the mouse.
(well, it's more complex than that because the first move (when
you middle-click) takes place before the thumb is resized,
so it might not meet the mouse, but once you move the mouse
then it finally really moves to meet the mouse).

> This seems rather drastic considering that _most_ of the time there
> really isn't any problem, but you're making the common case ugly to
> cover the rare glitches that do happen.

Agreed.  Which is why I haven't installed it.
OTOH, the "rare glitches" are really annoying and difficult to work
around, so I actually prefer this behavior (while still waiting to see
Xaw3d fixed to behave like Xaw (which is the same behavior as the
native scrollbar)).

        Stefan