Re: [Bug] Issues with format.el: coding system, byte/char confusi on

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [Bug] Issues with format.el: coding system, byte/char confusi on
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 22:06:15 -0400

     >      3. The docstring of `after-insert-file-functions' includes "It
should
     >  return the new byte count", whereas `format-decode' returns the
     >  new char count.

     > It looks like they are really both measured in characters.
     > I will fix some doc strings.

    In this case, you might also want to check (`position-bytes', but this might
    be OK):

    (defun after-insert-file-set-buffer-file-coding-system (inserted)
                  (let ((pos-byte (position-bytes (+ (point) inserted))))
                    (set-buffer-multibyte nil)
                    (setq inserted (- pos-byte (position-bytes (point))))))
              (set-buffer-modified-p modified-p))))
      inserted)

If fixed this code, I think.  Does the version now installed seem
correct to you?