Re: string-match: \` and \= do not match when START is non-zero

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: string-match: \` and \= do not match when START is non-zero
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 22:31:54 -0400

    \` or \= should match the empty string at index START in STRING.

\' certainly should only match at the beginning of the string,
just as it only matches at the beginning of the buffer.

For \= I am not sure.  I am not sure whether the START value in
string-match is really analogous to point in a buffer.  On the other hand,
currently \= is meaningless in a string, and it might do no harm to
give it this meaning.

I won't try to implement it myself.