Re: `set-fontset-font' and ascii characters

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: `set-fontset-font' and ascii characters
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 08:53:17 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, Oliver Scholz <address@hidden> writes:
> Uh, sorry, I was confused. Upon further reading I realize now that it
> is wrong to include xterm.h. Somehow I thought that xterm.c contains
> only generic functions.

> Currently fontset.c applies the function x_set_font by means of the
> variable set_frame_fontset_func, which is set in xfns.c, macfns.c and
> w32fns.c to x_set_font. So, would it be a proper way to use
> x_new_font_set_force by doing something similar with a new variable,
> say force_frame_fontset_func?

Yes.  I tried to make fontset.c independent on a window
system.

By the way, I re-consider the problem of chaning the fontset
of the default face.

You wrote:
> Now, if an ASCII font was changed, Fset_fontset_font checks all frames
> whether FONTSET is their frame fontset and forces a resizing of all
> frames that have. This is done by the new function
> x_new_fontset_force, which is like x_new_fontset, except that it does
> its works even if new fontset = old fontset. (This is done by
> factoring out a new function x_set_fontset_internal out of x_set_fontset.)

Isn't it easier to call Finternal_set_lisp_face_attribute on
all faces that has FONTSET?  That function handles the
default face correctly.

Vface_new_frame_defaults holds all named faces, the format is
((FACE . LFACE) ...).  LFACE[LFACE_FONT] gives the font or
fontset name of FACE.

This may work also in the case of changing non-ASCII font.

If this method works, the resulting code becomes simpler.
We can get rid of these functions:
 clear_fontset_elements, free_realized_multibyte_face

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden