Re: Cyrillic vs UTF-8

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: Cyrillic vs UTF-8
Date: Sun, 04 May 2003 14:01:03 +0200

Dave Love <address@hidden> writes:

> What is this thread all about?  I've replied to private mail to
> correct misconceptions, but it seemed to be nothing to do with
> Cyrillic (which I did all the recent work on as far as I know).

The original problem was that saving cyrillic (e.g., from the HELLO
file) as UTF-8 weren't auto-detected as UTF-8 when loading the file
back again.  This has been fixed now.  Another problem was that Emacs,
when asked to load the file as UTF-8, picked a Unicode font that
didn't include this glyphs.  This has not been fixed (although Stephen
seemed to have some ideas).  To workaround the problem, users need to
define a fontset, and use it.  Doing this is rather user unfriendly (X
resource, or elisp) so I suggested making it possible to customize
fontsets.

My other Cyrillic thread was that (double-width) cyrillic isn't
possible to save as UTF-8 at all.  This was fixed by adding a PROBLEMS
entry that says not all of Unicode is supported.  While discussing it,
it seems like the real problem was the cut'n'paste behavior that
generated the double-width cyrillic in the first place, so there were
some discussion about making Emacs use UTF8_STRING, when available,
instead of COMPOUND_TEXT.

I hope this summarizes the thread.