Re: Strange behaviour with dired and UTF8

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Strange behaviour with dired and UTF8
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 12:31:26 -0400

> Say I have two files, one in UTF-8 and one in latin-1.  Emacs has only
> one coding system for file names, say it is latin-1.

Question: how do other applications deal with such situations ?

I mean, of course Emacs should do better than the rest of the crowd,
but if most/all other applications fail miserably, then it's unlikely
that people will use such setups and it would be wrong for Emacs to
make it easier to create such a setup (unless maybe only Emacs
will ever care about those file names, of course).

        Stefan