Re: Strange behaviour with dired and UTF8

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Strange behaviour with dired and UTF8
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 18:20:04 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, "Jan D." <address@hidden> writes:
> I think I understand now.  You mean if dired uses UTF8, and file system
> coding is Latin-1, C-x C-f would then use Latin-1, and possibly fail?

Yes.

> I agree that this is bad, but I am not sure anything can be done
> about it.

How about my proposal?   Doesn't it solve this problem?

> Both KDE and GNOME file managers and file dialogs fail to open
> the right file in certain cases.  I think it is worse if dired fails on
> 'f' since in that case the file name is supplied by dired, not the user.
> For C-x C-f there is always TAB to see what Emacs thinks the file is called.

But, *Completion* buffer doesn't show correct file names
because there are names encoded by latin-1.  How one can
choose what he want?  In addtion, TAB says "[no match]" if
one has already typed some non-ASCII characters.

> I am not sure your case covers all cases.  If a file name was
> latin-1 and then converted to UTF8 (outside Emacs), Emacs would think it is
> still latin-1, no?
> It involves a bit of user interaction, making it intrusive.

Yes, but I think Emacs doesn't have to care about such a
case.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden