Re: Arabic leim/quail support

From: Nadim Shaikli
Subject: Re: Arabic leim/quail support
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 11:13:01 -0700 (PDT)

--- Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> wrote:
> In article <address@hidden>,
> Nadim Shaikli writes:
> > Greetings, I'm attaching a patch to include Arabic quail
> > support (its rather minor and should not affect anything),
> > do please consider its inclusion at your earliest convenience.
>
> > Patch is against 21.3.50 (from CVS).
>
> Thank you for the contribution.  But, we already have the
> attached one (arabic.el.gz).  It seems that yours is the
> same as the first one in arabic.el.gz.  Could you please
> check it?  And, we also have non-official version of Emacs
> that handles bidi text.  Please visit this page:
>       http://www.m17n.org/emacs-bidi/index.html

I'm well aware of your great work (I've contributed to its testing :-)
It seems dormant at the moment and it would be nice to have a clear
direction statement and a proposed "completion date" ;-)

I simply saw that the "live" emacs version (21.3.+) was lacking Arabic
support and opted to include it myself (wasn't sure what issues are
involved in using your code (license, etc) and opted to create the
patch myself - wasn't sure why the leim/quail support wasn't already
included into emacs' main trunk, it should have been).

Comparing the two files - yours looks fine too.  Do please include
either.

Regards,

 - Nadim