Re: Will default key bindings spell the death of Emacs?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Will default key bindings spell the death of Emacs?
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 17:47:28 -0400

On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 10:57:06PM +0200, Lars Hansen wrote:
> Yes, it is a large task to implement a possibility to completely change
> keymappings of Emacs, but never the less, IMHO it is the right thing to do.
> And it could be done in small steps if we lay out a strategy.

No it's a completely silly thing to do (or even waste time arguing about).

Emacs keybindings are not arbitrary, and they're a highly ingrained part of
the editor and its culture.  To change them in any large way, there would
have to be a _very_ good reason, and you certainly haven't shown one.

MSWindows keybindings are not particularly great, and in my experience, most
MSWindow users don't even _use_ keybindings (or know them), beyond the
C-c/C-x/C-v triumvirate and the `shift-movement' selection -- both of which
cua-mode handles.

-Miles
--
Occam's razor split hairs so well, I bought the whole argument!