Re: install.el

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: install.el
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 19:12:34 +0300

> From: "Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 16:45:50 -0400
>
> So I started to write install.el which is a package that offer the function
> `install-file'.   It takes a file (a ginel elisp file or a tarball) and
> somehow installs it at a useful place, compiles the elisp file(s)
> and activates the package by adding some relevant commands in your .emacs.
>
> Its current status is closer to proof-of-concept than to fool-proof,
> but I'd like to install it in CVS.

Please allow me a few minor comments:

> (defcustom install-home-file (or user-init-file "~/.emacs")
                                                  ^^^^^^^^^^
This should be ``(convert-standard-filename "~/.emacs")'', for those
platforms where .emacs is an invalid file name.

>     (or (car (install-glob (concat "**/" install-autoload-file)))
>       (car (install-glob "**/auto-autoloads.el"))
>       (car (install-glob "**/*-site.el")))))

I think these (and a few other similar) expansions might fail if file
names are truncated to 8+3.  That is,

   (install-glob "auto-autoloads.el")

will not find "auto-aut.el", right?

> (defconst install-info-dir "-*- Text -*-\n\n\
> File: dir     Node: Top       This is the top of the INFO tree\
> \n\n* Menu:\n\n"
>   "Text content of a barebones empty `info/dir' file.")

I think this text should follow the recommendations in the Texinfo
package docs.

(Yes, I realize that these are nits compared to what remains to be
done to make your package more than a proof-of-concept.)