Re: Invisible colons in Emacs Info.

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Invisible colons in Emacs Info.
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2003 18:42:57 -0500 (CDT)

In as far as the concrete example is concerned, I might have responded
a little bit too quickly.  Karl copied only part of it.  Here is the
full line:

* Mtools:(mtools).        Mtools: utilities to access DOS disks in Unix.

The point of my original message of several days ago was that one
can consider

Mtools:(mtools).          Mtools

to be a valid subtopic name according to the rules we discussed,
because there *is* a space after the *second* Mtools and not after the
first.  Because the lack of a space after the first Mtools,

Mtools:(mtools).          Mtools

would really seem to be the actual subtopic name.  If it is not, there
must be some reason why it is not, other than that it just looks silly.

So, in other words, the importance of putting a space after the first
Mtools is really to make clear that this is where the real subtopic
name ends.  The reason why Karl and me would like to insist on the
space after the final colon is not: "Because we tell so!", but to make
clear that the final colon is really the final colon and to avoid
confusion in cases like this one.

Actually, let us take a look at the actual menu entry which does have
the space we want:

* Mtools: (mtools).        Mtools: utilities to access DOS disks in Unix.

I do not know whether you have this entry and hence can check the
following:

Put the cursor on that line and do `m'.

Look at the echo area:

Menu item (default Mtools: (mtools).        Mtools):

Even in this case `m' still seems to consider

Mtools: (mtools).        Mtools

as the subtopic name, as least in as far as the echo area message is
concerned.  This definitely seems to make no sense, given the presence
of the required space.  Pressing RETURN does visit `Mtools' however.

Sincerely,

Luc.