Re: Reducing mouse-dependency In Emacs.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Reducing mouse-dependency In Emacs.
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 12:50:57 -0400

> I propose to complement `mouse-face' and `help-echo' with two new text
> properties, `short-help' and `long-help', which would be strings or
> evaluate to strings.

Sounds like overengineering to me.  It's already hard enough to
get people to add the `help-echo' property (additionally to docstrings,
comments, and the manual).
I think we only need some ways for those properties to be used/usable
without a mouse.
What you suggested sounds pretty good.  We could also have a more noisy
option that always echos the help-echo property around point (after some
idle delay, of course).  Or some other that hilights text with the
`mouse-face' face when point is inside.

        Stefan