Re: (no subject)

From: shuki_duv
Subject: Re: (no subject)
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 06:11:23 -0700 (PDT)

Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:
>>    (while file-exists-p target-file)
>>      ;; Remove the target before writing it, so that any
>>      ;; hard-links continue to point to the old file (this makes
>>      ;; it possible for installed files to share disk space with
>>      ;; the build tree, without causing problems when emacs-lisp
>>      ;; files in the build tree are recompiled).
>>      (delete-file target-file))
>>
>>    This is a hack for developers, and shouldn't be in the releases, in
>>    my opinion. For example, it trashes the .elc file permissions, not
>>    speak about symlinks, etc.
>
> I think we need to keep this feature.

Of what use is it to users (as opposed to the developers)? On the other
hand, for example, I am maintaining an emacs configuration which is in
widespread use (via -u). My umask is 077, and whenever I recompile a file,
I need to change its .elc counterpart permissions back.

You could say that I should change the recompiling function, but in my
opinion, the UNIX way of rewriting files is in no need of questionable
improvements like these. At the least, one could ensure that the number of
hardlinks is more than one before erasing target-file.

Also, what if target-file is a symlink? In my opinion, this feature only
confuses matters.

Best regards,
Shuki