utf-8 cjk translation bug?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: utf-8 cjk translation bug?
Date: 30 Sep 2003 17:30:25 +0900

I have `utf-translate-cjk-mode' enabled.

I have the following string in a buffer:

        NECエレクトロニクス(株)

If I write it using say `euc-jp' coding system, no problem.  According
to `C-u C-x =', all the japanese characters are in the charset
japanese-jisx0208.

However, if I save it using utf-8, I get no complaints, but when I read
it back in, the first 3 characters show up as little boxes.  `C-u C-x ='
shows the boxes as being in charset mule-unicode-e000-ffff; the rest of
the characters are still listed as being in japanese-jisx0208.

I presume this is representable utf-8, because unicode is supposed to be
able to represent all characters in any component character set
simultaneously, so it would seem to be a bug in utf-translate-cjk-mode.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Miles
--
Is it true that nothing can be known?  If so how do we know this?  -Woody Allen