Re: `special' keys in keyboard macros

From: Roland Winkler
Subject: Re: `special' keys in keyboard macros
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 12:18:30 +0200

On     Oct 15 2003 Kim F. Storm wrote:

> >     Another possibility is to record commands names instead of keys.
> >
> > That is possible, but I tend to think it is the wrong approach.
>
> I agree.
>
> For example, it is not sufficient to record just commands names for
> commands like self-insert-command and digit-argument which make no
> sense "out of context".

I think it would be neat to have some better support for converting
"dirty", quickly hacked keyboard macros into "clean" elisp commands.
The command edit-kbd-macro gives some idea how the keys are
translated into commands. But for more complex keyboard macros (such
as those using recursive edit during execution of the macro) it will
be rather tricky to provide an automated mechanism for converting
keyboard macros into elisp commands. Up to now, I do not even have
an idea what kind of new features might be useful to support such a
conversion.

In any case, it appears to me that this is a rather different issue
than what I addressed in the bug report.

Roland