Re: Changes to Texinfo DTD

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Changes to Texinfo DTD
Date: 02 Dec 2003 08:42:18 +0200

> Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 10:19:06 -0600 (CST)
> From: Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden>
>
> Take (elisp)Locales as an example.  The texinfo source contains:
>
> @xref{Locales,,, libc, GNU Libc Manual}, for more information about
> locales and locale items.
>
> With Info-hide-note-references set to t this gives:
>
> See Locales for more information about locales and locale items.
>
> "Locales" is the node we are looking at.

We could as well treat this as a case of unfortunate wording in the
ELisp manual.  The above sentence could be modified to solve the
problem at hand:

  The GNU C library manual (@pxref{Locales,,, libc, GNU Libc Manual})
  has more information about locales and locale items.

I notice in passing that a reference to a manual that might not be
installed at all, because it describes a library that is only used by
some platforms, might not be a good idea for purely didactic reasons:
suppose my system doesn't use glibc---how would I learn more about
Locales without the manual being available?

More generally, if the underlying C library is something other than
glibc, I might wonder whether the discussion in the glibc manual is at
all relevant to the treatment of locales I will see on my system.

So the offending sentence seems to be a rather singular case that, as
worded, is troubled to begin with.  We might as well not develop any
theories based on it.