Re: Changes to Texinfo DTD

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Changes to Texinfo DTD
Date: 04 Dec 2003 09:58:33 +0200

> Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 20:53:15 -0600 (CST)
> From: Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden>
>
> It would be silly (and impossible) to try to manually rewrite all
> references to other manuals in all currently existing .texi files this
> way

In general, I see nothing silly about making the manual look better.
More specifically, references to other manuals are relatively rare, to
the best of my memory.  And there's no need to rewrite all of them at
once: we could do that whenever we find a problem.

> when the xrefs contain enough information for an Info reader
> (actually "makeinfo --xml" reader) to rewrite these sentences
> _automatically_ the way you want them rewritten

As long as XML didn't replace the current Info format, this option is
a bit academic, IMHO.