Re: Are there plans for a multi-threaded Emacs?

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: Are there plans for a multi-threaded Emacs?
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 14:52:37 +0000

Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:

> because it is likely even new code will need to use old code, and if old
> code is ignorant of the new conventions, you will have problems.  if new
> conventions can be followed in a ways harmonious w/ the old code, you
> are ok, but that is not guaranteed.  that is probably the impetus behind
> the big-lock approach.

I see.  Hm.  I thought that people "just" need to be careful which
"old code" they call.  And if the old code doesn't work, it would get
rewritten.

But I guess the big-lock suggestion leads to bad performance in
problematic cases, whereas my suggestion leads to wrong results in
problematic cases.  And bad performance is better than wrong results.

Kai