Re: What's the problem?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: What's the problem?
Date: 13 Dec 2003 18:35:22 +0100

> > From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> > Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 18:55:58 -0500
> >
> > Redisplay could set a flag to prevent thread-switching.
>
> I think making redisplay a separate thread would be one of the more
> useful improvements in Emacs.  The situation where the user clicks
> File->Open from the menu bar and then (under a toolkit), while the
> file-selection box is active, the Emacs display never changes, looks
> like a bug.  (Try moving the file-selection box to a different
> position and observe the blank portions of the Emacs window.)

It would also be an idea, if one has a redisplay thread, to let it
associate mouse clicks with objects under it at the time of the click.
People rarely expect, when they click in the text area while Emacs is
busy, that half an hour later a menu pops up with a button "Really
self-destruct?" which happens to be right on the location where the
click had been half an hour ago, that this menu/text position etc will
be satisfied with the click from olden times.

More seriously, I had quite a few times paste operations go quite to
the wrong place when something affecting the buffer display was
running in background, even though at the time of the click the
display was still something quite different.