Re: Fixed bug in completing-read

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Fixed bug in completing-read
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2003 10:33:18 -0500

       "POSITION characters into string" == "at position POSITION in the
       minibuffer" - 1.  String positions are zero-origin, buffer positions
       are one-origin.

I agree.  "2 character into the string" means "after the first 2
characters".  When you put that text into a buffer, it would
correspond to buffer position 3, which is after the first 2
characters.

    To me, the English phrase "POSITION characters into string" is
    equivalent with the technical Lisp phrase "at (zero-indexed) position
    POSITION - 1 in string".

"2 characters into the string" certainly doesn't mean zero-indexed
position 1 in the string.

      The one thing this means for certain is
    that things should be reformulated more unambiguously, in all involved
    places, which I will do.

I agree that we should make it unambiguous.

Since this is a rather obscure feature, not used in too many places,
we should make the decision based on what is clean, not based on
compatibility with this or that.  Since these positions go with
strings, they should be zero-origin.