Re: carbon emacs on OS X 10.3 (Panther): how to fix environment?

From: Benjamin Riefenstahl
Subject: Re: carbon emacs on OS X 10.3 (Panther): how to fix environment?
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 20:04:07 +0100

Hi Rob,

Rob Dickens <address@hidden> writes:
> I understand that launching emacs from the Terminal commandline will
> give me the correct **environment variables**. Is anyone working on
> a fix so that it can be launched from the dock?

I think the problem is not fixable by Emacs, it's a generic conceptual
Mac OS X issue.  When you launch Emacs from the Dock, no command-line
shell is ever involved, so none of the command-line shell init files
is ever evaluated.

You can set environment variables for the Finder and the Dock in
~/.MacOSX/environment.plist, see
<http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2001/qa1067.html>.  These will than
be inherited by Emacs.  These settings are static, this file is not
using any kind of scripting language.

I would assume that you can write an AppleScript to do more dynamic
stuff.  The script would talk to the Finder and/or Dock.  You would
than add that AppleScript to your Startup Items (see the "Accounts"
System Preferences).

You can also set environment variables in your ~/.emacs using the
(setenv) function.  This will than of course only affect packages that
get loaded afterwards.

> However, even launching from the commandline doesn't give me the
> correct **groups**. Does anyone have a fix for that?

Can you expand?  I don't quite understand what you mean here.

benny