Re: sendmail.el bug or expected behavior?

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: sendmail.el bug or expected behavior?
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 20:09:40 +0100

>       But this may not work well if
>     /usr/lib/sendmail hangs for hours,
>
> Are all mailers liable to hang for hours, or is it only Sendmail that
> does so?  For instance, we use Exim.  Can Exim hang for hours when you
> invoke it in this way to send a message?

I don't know.  As far as I remember, the reports were not very
detailed, just that the change of default behaviour generated
problems.  Perhaps someone can experiment a little, although I'm not
really sure what MTA and what configuration triggers the problem.

I suspect that if the MTA is trying to deliver the message to its
final destination, then it may hang regardless of what MTA is used.