Re: Documentation for "Clone Buffers" (corrected version)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Documentation for "Clone Buffers" (corrected version)
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 22:03:41 +0200

> Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 08:35:14 -0600 (CST)
> From: Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden>
>
> What is the exact function of emacs/info/dir?

It is the DIR file for the manuals that come with Emacs.  Info uses it
to generate the "DIR" node, which is a concatenation of all the DIR
files it finds along the Info search path.

> Back in September, I noticed that SES was not listed im my (dir)Top
> under Emacs.  I tried adding SES to emacs/info/dir.  It had no effect
> whatsoever.

What effect you were looking for?  The effect should be visible if
you type `d' inside the *info* buffer.

With the stand-alone Info reader, typing "info SES" should succeed if
SES is in info/dir and would probably fail if it isn't (although
latest versions of the stand-alone reader might find the SES manual
even if it isn't in info/dir).

>  I noticed that other recent additions were not listed in
> emacs/info/dir.  I then checked how they got added to (dir)Top.  It
> was through Makefile.in.

Makefile.in takes care of adding the entries to the system-wide DIR
file when you say "make install".  But until you do say "make
install", the Emacs binary invoked from its source tree uses the DIR
file supplied with the distribution.