Re: deleting rcs keywords from emacs sources

From: Andre Spiegel
Subject: Re: deleting rcs keywords from emacs sources
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 20:37:15 +0100

On Fri, 2004-03-26 at 17:45, Richard Stallman wrote:

> I can follow how this is useful for you.  I would guess that only a
> few Lisp file maintainers do this, though.

It may not be that common among Emacs maintainers, but as I said, it
surely is an essential feature in many other contexts.

> If you put a date manually into the files when you send an entire
> file to someone, it would achieve the same purpose, right?
> You'd be doing it manually instead of automatically.

It's doable, but it would be inconvenient.

How about this: CVS/RCS allows you to switch off keyword substitution by
default for each individual file.  The keywords are then only
substituted when somebody asks for it while checking out his personal
working copy.  This way, the files would contain unexpanded $Id$ headers
for everybody by default, but people like me who want and need them can
turn on keyword substitution locally for themselves.

How does that sound?