Re: gdb-ui and Mac OS X

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: gdb-ui and Mac OS X
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 19:14:31 +0100

Stefan Monnier writes:

 > BTW, I still like the --fullname behavior of not opening any file
 > at startup.  More specifically, when I start gdb --ann=3 emacs, GUD opens
 > up a new window showing the src/emacs.c file, which I will never need/want
 > to look at in 99.9% of the cases.  Can this be changed?

Sure. I was just copying standard behaviour. A while back, Jan D said
something similar so maybe its not such a good idea. He added:

Jan D> I frequently do like this:
Jan D> Go to line in file where I would like to break
Jan D> C-x 2
Jan D> start gdb in the upper window.

It could work like --fullname currently does (as you and Jan describe). Or if
"\\*gud-.*\\*\\(\\|<[0-9]+>\\)" is removed from same-window-regexps,  you don't
need to split the buffer as the GUD buffer will appear in a new window.

In either case the source buffer woouldn't have gud-minor-mode set so
breakpoints could only be set with a global binding (e.g C-x SPC). Setting
gud-minor-mode could be done but it might be a bit messy as in some cases the
user might not want it set.

Are there any other ideas?

Nick