Re: problems with easy-menu-add on --without-x emacs

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: problems with easy-menu-add on --without-x emacs
Date: 15 Apr 2004 01:25:06 +0200

>     I originally tested it on my trusty biprocessor 266Mhz Pentium
>     II GNU/Linux machine, which was pretty powerful 7 years ago.
>
> Does anyone have access to info about what fraction of machines
> in use today are less powerful than that?

Well, my desktop machine is a 133MHz Pentium.  My notebook is a
600MHz processor, but I doubt it would be faster in things like
kernel compilation that a dual 266MHz machine.

But "fraction of machines in use today" would be a totally misleading
number: probably most of today's machines are used for "simple text
processing under Windows", meaning that they have awful processing
requirements for tolerable updates.  I know that in most shops I've
been working, the most powerful machines were used by the secretaries.

In short: I think that the average processing power of machines
typically running Emacs might be severely below the average of "in use
today".