Re: batch-bytecomp backtrace?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: batch-bytecomp backtrace?
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 19:04:06 -0400

On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 06:35:27PM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> Well, the original code was *very* careful to make it virtually impossible
> to get the backtrace.  Now it's possible, tho it still requires insistence:
>
>    (setq debug-on-error t)
>    (setq byte-compile-debug t)

Thanks; that seems to have done something...

For the problems with esh-module.el though, it seems to make it compile!

Without those options, it fails:

   $ src/bootstrap-emacs -batch -f batch-byte-compile
/usr/local/src/emacs/lisp/eshell/esh-module.el

   In toplevel form:
   ../../src/emacs/lisp/eshell/esh-module.el:29:13:Error: Lisp nesting exceeds
   max-lisp-eval-depth

But with them:

   $ src/bootstrap-emacs -batch --eval '(setq debug-on-error t
byte-compile-debug t)' -f batch-byte-compile
/usr/local/src/emacs/lisp/eshell/esh-module.el
   Wrote /usr/local/src/emacs/lisp/eshell/esh-groups.el
   Wrote /usr/local/src/emacs/lisp/eshell/esh-groups.el

   In end of data:
   esh-module.el:157:1:Warning: the following functions might not be defined at
       runtime: eshell-load-defgroups, eshell-subgroups
   esh-module.el:157:1:Warning: the function `msdos-long-file-names' is not
   known
       to be defined.
   Wrote /usr/local/src/emacs/lisp/eshell/esh-module.elc

Someone's doing something funny... esh-module.el is full of nasty-looking
code, but it doesn't seem to have been changed recently, so I'm not sure
what's going on.

Is anyone else having this same problem?

-Miles
--
In New York, most people don't have cars, so if you want to kill a person, you
have to take the subway to their house.  And sometimes on the way, the train