Re: Menu suggestion

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Menu suggestion
Date: 26 Apr 2004 17:39:00 +0900

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:
> So while your point is that to use emacs, the user must be taught a
> non-standard set of cursor movement bindings, my point is that if we
> allow a user to build on his current experience gained from other
> applications, he can more quickly learn to use emacs as a whole.

It seems to me that this is really only true for the arrow keys, not
for the C-x/C-v, etc. -- which are enabled by default anyway.

Given that C-x/C-v _interfere_ with normal emacs usage -- and C-x in a
pretty serious way -- it seems unlikely that they're a good method to
`introduce someone to emacs' (naive users, in my observation, do not use
the keyboard for very much at all, they just use the mouse and menus a
lot).

-Miles
--
`Suppose Korea goes to the World Cup final against Japan and wins,' Moon said.
`All the past could be forgiven.'   [NYT]