Re: Menu suggestion

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Menu suggestion
Date: 26 Apr 2004 13:37:56 +0200

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:
> > So while your point is that to use emacs, the user must be taught a
> > non-standard set of cursor movement bindings, my point is that if we
> > allow a user to build on his current experience gained from other
> > applications, he can more quickly learn to use emacs as a whole.
>
> It seems to me that this is really only true for the arrow keys, not
> for the C-x/C-v, etc. -- which are enabled by default anyway.

Yes, the arrow keys (which the user already knows how to operate) are
supported, so why waste time on learning the user something in the
tutorial which he will - at best - just find obscure, and - at worst -
turn him off from learning emacs at all.

> Given that C-x/C-v _interfere_ with normal emacs usage -- and C-x in a
> pretty serious way -- it seems unlikely that they're a good method to
> `introduce someone to emacs' (naive users, in my observation, do not use
> the keyboard for very much at all, they just use the mouse and menus a
> lot).

What serious way does C-x interfere with normal emacs use ?

Ah, yes, you will have problems exiting emacs or opening a file when
the region is active, but those are minor problems IMHO -- not severe.