Re: Default Emacs keybindings (was: Re: Menu suggestion)

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Default Emacs keybindings (was: Re: Menu suggestion)
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 18:06:12 -0500 (CDT)

David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

   So if I have a busy computer or a slow connection or accessibility
   problems or slow typing, the only way to reliably compile a document
   in AUCTeX (C-c C-c) is to use

     S-C-c C-c

   which is not the most friendly keysequence to type.  Also, the meaning
   and/or naming of commands changes depending on whether the region is
   active or not.

Actually, if your connection would be as slow as mine you would be
forced to run emacs -nw and there would be no difference between
S-C-c C-c and C-c C-c.

Per and others have suggested making the CUA bindings the _default_.
Bindings that do not work on text only terminals, such as shifted
arrow keys and shifted control characters, are unacceptable for
important _default_ bindings, unless they have well-documented
alternatives.  But then the user has to learn _two_ sets of bindings.
This applies not just to CUA.  I believe that, whenever _any_ changes
to default bindings or manuals descriptions are discussed, text only
terminals, and, in particular, emacs -nw, should not be ignored.

Sincerely,

Luc.