Re: Menu suggestion

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Menu suggestion
Date: 28 Apr 2004 15:46:44 +0900

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:
> I am eager to achieve maximum efficiency in Emacs editing, but I don't
> see how an asymmetrical layout of C-f C-b C-n C-p C-a C-e C-v M-v is
> better for cursor motion than logically placed arrow keys:

I guess you probably don't touch-type then, right?

When touch-typing, it's far more important that the movement keys be
easy to reach without moving your hand excessively, than for them to be
a pattern that's nice to look it.  If you're _just_ moving the cursor
around, then you can keep your hand over the arrow keys, and you'll do
alright -- but if you're typing _and_ moving, the cursor keys suck,
because they're way off in the middle of nowhere (yes, even on a
laptop).  The emacs movement keys, OTOH, are quite convenient for use
when typing.

[This is slightly less true for `new style' keyboards with the control
key way down in the left bottom corner, but then anyone with any sense
remaps it to the proper position to the left of the A key anyway.]

-Miles
--
I'd rather be consing.