describe-mode's treatment of minor-modes is annoying

From: Miles Bader
Subject: describe-mode's treatment of minor-modes is annoying
Date: 04 May 2004 13:05:09 +0900

Am I the only one who's annoyed by the way describe-mode now displays
minor modes?

It fills up the beginning of the buffer with notes about a zillion minor
modes, most of which I don't care about, and which almost always manage
to push the major mode description (which I usually _do_ care about)
entirely off the screen?

For instance, here's what it showed when I did `C-h m' in my
message-sending buffer:

   Summary of minor modes:
     Abbrev minor mode (indicator Abbrev):
     Auto Fill minor mode (indicator Fill):
     Auto-Compression minor mode (no indicator):
     Auto-Image-File minor mode (no indicator):
     Display-Time minor mode (no indicator):
     File-Name-Shadow minor mode (no indicator):
     Font-Lock minor mode (no indicator):
     Global-Font-Lock minor mode (no indicator):
     Line-Number minor mode (no indicator):
     Minibuffer-Electric-Default minor mode (no indicator):
     Mouse-Wheel minor mode (no indicator):
     Recentf minor mode (no indicator):
     Temp-Buffer-Resize minor mode (no indicator):
     Transient-Mark minor mode (no indicator):
     Unify-8859-On-Encoding minor mode (no indicator):
     Utf-Translate-Cjk minor mode (no indicator):

   (Full information about these minor modes
   follows the description of the major mode.)

   Message mode:

I think all that should be moved to _after_ the major mode description,
with a single-line hyper link at the beginning of the buffer that jumps
there.

E.g., make the layout something like:

   (Information on [minor modes] comes after the major mode description)

   Message mode:
   ....long major mode description....

   ^L
   Summary of minor modes in this buffer:
     [Abbrev minor mode] (indicator Abbrev):
     [Auto Fill minor mode] (indicator Fill):
     [Auto-Compression minor mode] (no indicator):

   ^L
   Abbrev minor mode (indicator Abbrev):
   Toggle abbrev mode.
   With argument ARG, turn abbrev mode on iff ARG is positive.

   ^L

where bracketed phrases [...] indicate hyperlinks.

Thanks,

-Miles
--
"Though they may have different meanings, the cries of 'Yeeeee-haw!' and
 'Allahu akbar!' are, in spirit, not actually all that different."