Re: Mode-line customization.

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Mode-line customization.
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 23:19:57 +0200

On Wed, 05 May 2004 11:04:16 -0400, Chris Green <address@hidden> wrote:

> When you modify a version controlled file in XEmacs, the
> background of the CVS version becomes highlighted.  In Emacs, it goes
> from CVS-1.21 => CVS:1.21 which isn't obvious until you read the
> docstring for vc-default-mode-line-string.
>
> I was disappointed that I couldn't customize to get that behavior
> back.

You can't M-x customize it, but certainly you can customize it:

(setcdr (nth 7 mode-line-format)
               '((:eval (let ((v (concat vc-mode " ")))
                          (if (string-match ":" v)
                           (propertize v 'face '(:background "red"))
                        (propertize v 'face '(:background "brown")))))))

etc.

Though I fully agree that having mode-line-major-mode,
mode-line-minor-mode and other mode-line specific faces would be great.

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u