Re: gdbui hang

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: gdbui hang
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 17:08:54 -0400

On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 09:25:51PM +0100, Nick Roberts wrote:
>  > The new gdbui mode seems to get wedged in these unrecoverable states way
>  > too often, and seems way too fragile... (with traditional gdb mode,
>  > hitting C-g a few times and then C-c C-c a few times was usually enough
>  > to get you back into some known state).
>
> For each GDB command the user types, it runs several behind the users back to
> keep Emacs informed about the status of the program being debugged. This
> requires careful co-ordination and will take just take time to iron out the
> bugs. I can only suggest that you submit a bug report for each case.

Yes, I fully understand your dilemna, but the bugs in gdbui typically seem
pretty hard to describe in a useful way -- often it just hangs, and won't
unhang -- and are not easily repeatable.

Is there some internal state that be useful to quote in a bug report?  Even
better, how about a dump-gdbui-internal-state command that could be used
when sending a bug report?

Thanks,

-Miles
--
P.S.  All information contained in the above letter is false,
      for reasons of military security.