Re: +face-remapping-20040505-0.patch

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: +face-remapping-20040505-0.patch
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 17:28:08 -0400

On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 01:54:20PM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
>     BTW, I think perhaps the name `face-override-alist' is a better
>     (clearer) name than `face-remapping-alist', especially if it essentially
>     supports the same syntax as a face property.  What do you think?
>
> Don't we use the term "remapping" for other such features,
> such as the keymap feature to remap one command into another command?

The one instance I find (via apropos) is:

   command-remapping
     Function: Return the remapping for command COMMAND in current keymaps.

[`remap' yields the same result.]

The reasons I like override better are:

 (1) Its meaning is pretty obvious, and more visceral.  For instance I think
     if someone didn't know about this feature, and was trying to find out
     why their faces looked weird, they'd be more likely to chance upon or
     recognize `override' as being the likely culprit than `remapping'.

 (2) Remapping does seem more to imply a one-to-one replacement of one face
     name with another; if indeed the feature allows merging faces, or even
     un-named face attributes to be used, then I think override fits better.

-Miles
--
We have met the enemy, and he is us.  -- Pogo