@#$! new behavior of C-b & C-f in i-search

From: Miles Bader
Subject: @#$! new behavior of C-b & C-f in i-search
Date: 18 May 2004 13:51:11 +0900

I originally liked the idea of `C-b' & `C-f' in i-search doing special
stuff, but ever since this was installed, it's been driving me batty --
I apparently use those keystrokes to exit i-search _way_ more than I
thought.

The behavior is especially insidious because following scenario happens
really often:

I'll do an i-search, try to exit it by hitting C-b a few times expecting
the cursor to move, and when it _doesn't_ move, I'll realize `Oh, it's
the new behavior' and try to exit i-search by hitting RET -- but that
doesn't work, because hitting C-b has emptied the search string (without
moving the search location), so RET drops me into the non-incremental
Search: prompt, and when I then hit C-g to try to _really_ exit, it
aborts the search, and warps me back to where I began!

At that point I can't even just redo the search by hitting `C-s C-s',
because the aborted i-search didn't save it.

Grrrrrrrr....

-Miles
--
`...the Soviet Union was sliding in to an economic collapse so comprehensive
 that in the end its factories produced not goods but bads: finished products