Re: Unicode support for the MS Windows clipboard

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Unicode support for the MS Windows clipboard
Date: 28 May 2004 11:18:32 -0400

> - CF_OEMTEXT - If you want to cut-and-paste line drawing characters
>   between Emacs and other console apps on 9x/Me this would be the type
>   to use.

>   You could consider this scenario too exotic, so that we could drop
>   it.  OTOH I know of at least one user that is actually using and
>   maintaining files with line drawing characters in Emacs.

I don't think we should worry about a few users using line drawing
characters in 9x/Me for whom copy/paste didn't work before either.
I think we should concentrate on:
1 - make sure things that used to work still work.
2 - get new cases working by using CF_UNICODETEXT.

That basically means that we should always first try to use CF_TEXT like we
used to, and if that doesn't work try CF_UNICODETEXT.

Now for posting, it's OK because we can easily figure out whether CF_TEXT
can be used (just see whether encoding for CF_TEXT finds any un-encodable
chars).  For receiving, I don't know: can we ask Windows to tell us whether
the CF_TEXT we find contains "un-encoded chars" in which case we should look
at CF_UNICODETEXT?  If not we'd have to first try CF_UNICODETEXT with the
associated problems linked to unification this entails.

        Stefan