Re: improving query-replace and query-replace-regexp

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: improving query-replace and query-replace-regexp
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 08:03:20 -0400

On Sat, May 29, 2004 at 01:58:33PM +0200, Kai Grossjohann wrote:
> > It's not necessary -- as those commands use normal minibuffer input, you
> > can just use the normal minibuffer history mechanism (M-p, etc).
>
> Well, the "from" and "to" prompts use the same history, so you have
> to be quite careful about the number of times you hit M-p.
>
> One idea would be to have them use separate histories.

I think that would be a mistake -- I very often use the history to retrieve
the `other half' of the search-replace pair, as often the replacement is
simply a slight change to the search text.

> But I just use C-x ESC ESC to repeat query-replace.

Me too, if I just want to exactly redo the q-r.

Anyway, I think there are enough convenient tools already at hand.

-Miles
--
Yo mama's so fat when she gets on an elevator it HAS to go down.