Re: desktop.el and minor modes

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: desktop.el and minor modes
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 11:02:55 +0300

Lars Hansen <address@hidden> writes:
> I don't see the problem. dired-omit-files-p was buffer-local before my
> changes just as dired-omit-mode is now.
> According to my test (with vanilla Emacs 21.2 and vanilla CVS Emacs),
> things work the same way when dired-omit-files-p is set in .emacs:
> With the following two lines in .emacs
>
>   (require 'dired-x)
>   (setq-default dired-omit-files-p t)
>
> omit mode is turned on globally. Observe that setq won't work.

It doesn't work when dired-omit-files-p is saved in .emacs by customize.
But seems this is a problem of customize: it can't restore variable aliases.

For example, try in a new Emacs session:

(progn
 (custom-set-variables '(dired-omit-files-p t))
 (require 'dired-x)
 dired-omit-files-p)

Returns: nil

And the new `dired-omit-mode' is not a customizable variable
anymore (like `dired-omit-files-p' was before) because it is
defined without `:global t'.  This means that users can't customize
this variable and should write the code in .emacs to toggle it
buffer-locally in the dired mode hook.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/