Re: mail-extract-address-components extract modified full name

From: Katsumi Yamaoka
Subject: Re: mail-extract-address-components extract modified full name
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 20:09:39 +0900

> I think in most instances using `mail-extract-address-components' is
> probably the wrong thing.

I agree with you.  m-e-a-c is being used in not a few places in
Gnus, and it sometimes causes funny result, although it is not
serious so far as far as I know.  For instance, when I reply to
the address "手塚 治 <address@hidden>", the buffer named "*reply to
手塚 治.*" is created.

> It doesn't really do RFC(2)822 parsing --
> it just takes something that looks pretty much like a mail address
> and a name and tries to do something pleasing with it, even if it
> isn't in the least valid as a RFC2822 address.

> "手塚 治 <address@hidden>", for instance, isn't a valid address.  (It
> has to be encoded first.)

> So I'm not sure that this function should be altered.

> On the other hand, if what you want is RFC2822 address parsing, we
> have `mail-header-parse-address', which does strict parsing, and
> nothing else.

mail-header-parse-address doesn't support non-ASCII characters,
so a function like gnus-extract-address-components is also
needed.

P.S. In last message, I mixed up mail-extract-address-components
and mail-header-parse-address about non-ASCII characters, sorry.
--
Katsumi Yamaoka <address@hidden>