Re: Fast completion with visible cue?

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: Fast completion with visible cue?
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 20:10:05 -0700

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

  > Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:
>> For cases where you want to recall something "by (non-prefix) name" just
>> using minibuffer history search (M-r) is also very useful.
>
  > Using M-r and M-s for minibuffer history search is not too convenient:
  > switching keys `M-r RET M-r RET M-r RET ...' is not as fast as using
  > only one key to repeat the search for the same string.

IMHO the way readline (and implicitly bash) implement incremental
history search (bound to C-r/C-s) is great from a UI point of
view. And that UI has been in use for a long time.
It would be great to have something similar in emacs.

[I am not quite sure how similar is your proposal to readline, if
it is, it would be nice to have].