Re: Rmail mbox-format branch

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: Rmail mbox-format branch
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 13:50:57 +0000 (UTC)

   I think we need at least one or two people to try the mbox-format code
   before we install it in the trunk.  Can a couple of people try it now?

I just tried the rmail-mbox-branch on an mbox text file.

`rmail-activate-urls' is erroneously called which prevents Emacs from
reading the mbox file.  The *Messages* buffer says
`Symbol's function definition is void: browse-url-activate-urls'.

When I comment out the `(rmail-activate-urls)' line in the function
definition for `rmail-show-message' in the mbox-format branch of
rmail.el, I am able to read the email.

`rmail-activate-urls' does not exist in the `rmail-format' (main)
branch of the /usr/local/src/emacs/lisp/mail/ directory.

Here is what I did:

    ## in a shell
    ## cd <to-the-CVS-repository-on-my-machine>
    cd /usr/local/src/emacs/lisp/mail

    ## discover the name of the branch
    cvs status -v rmail.el

    ## convert all files to that branch
    ##     time is: Sat, 2004 Sep 11  12:56 UTC
    cvs update -r rmail-mbox-branch

        # Run a `plain vanilla' Emacs using the mbox branch:
        #     /usr/local/src/emacs/src/emacs -Q
        # #### and look at an mbox file:
        #
        #     C-u M-x rmail RET mbox-foo RET
        #
        # ## In *Messages* buffer, see:
        #
        # Processing new messages...done (55)
        # save-excursion: Symbol's function definition is void:
        #  browse-url-activate-urls

        # Comment out the `(rmail-activate-urls)' line in the function
        # definition for `rmail-show-message' in the mbox-format branch of
        # rmail.el and evaluate the rmail.el buffer.
        # Now able to read email in mbox-foo.

    ## update to previous version, using `-A' to reset
    cvs update -A

        # Run a `plain vanilla' Emacs using the previous branch:
        #     /usr/local/src/emacs/src/emacs -Q
        # #### and look at the same mbox file:
        #
        #     C-u M-x rmail RET mbox-foo RET
        #
        # ## In *Messages* buffer, see:
        #         Converting to Babyl format...done
        # ## Also able to read email from same mbox file.

--
    Robert J. Chassell
    address@hidden                         GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8