Re: address@hidden: Re: Possible help with stable Emacs releases.]

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: Possible help with stable Emacs releases.]
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 13:42:34 -0400

> I don't understand the question; are you saying that bugfix releases
> don't need to go through a pretest phase?  I wasn't aware something
> like that was being proposed in these discussions.

Can we distinguish issues here, lest we end up frustrating people.
I see 3 parts:

1 - "unify" the Debian patches and the RC branch.  I.e. that the Debian
    maintainer install fixes directly on the RC branch rather than in some
    unrelated Debian-only area.

2 - somehow change the bugfix release process (to be more frequent), again
    here, basically leveraging from Debian's own bugfix-release process.

3 - fiddle with the release numbering.

As long as 1 and 2 are done in a way that it not Debian-only
(i.e. things like patches that introduce bugs on non-Debian systems),
1 and 2 seem like good ideas to me, basically giving us more manpower
(which is currently only beneficial to Debian).

I think the issue of whether we can do 2 or not is mostly irrelevant: if the
pretests take too much time, then we necessarily won't make them more often.
I.e. if it works it works and if it doesn't, then it works as before.
I don't see what's to discuss.

        Stefan